Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy Birthday America - Day 41

Lounging with a party-goer.


She got so excited when she saw Uncle M and Aunt L arrive she started jumping up and down in the drive way and yelling.


OOOOOhhhh - a plane!


Watching and singing along to "Happy Birthday America"


For some reason around here the big day to celebrate is July 3rd, not the 4th. I don't know why this is, but the evening of July 3rd is when all the parties, fireworks and bonfires happen. My parents' house has a great view of the beach and you can see the bonfires and fireworks from their deck, so every year they host a big July 3rd get together for their friends. This year about 40 people came. LSP saw us getting ready and we told her there was going to be a party. She became convinced that it was a birthday party, a notion that was reinforced when I make a cake this afternoon. Nana told her it was America's birthday, so during the party she kept asking to "Sing Happy Birthday America." So halfway through the evening Nana had everyone sing Happy Birthday America. LSP was thrilled. Now she will for sure think all parties are birthday parties.

Well into the party we went upstairs to change her diaper. She looked out the upstairs window at all of my parents' friends milling around the back porch and said excitedly, "I see a Grandpa! I see another Grandpa! I see Grandpas!" It must have been all the white hair.

This morning, before the party she had her first swim lesson. She did really well. I'm biased here, of course, but I think she was he best in the class. She was the only kid who didn't cry or ask to go home or want to get out of the pool. In fact we stayed in the pool for 20 minutes after the lesson was over, and she only got out then because I bribed her with the promise of crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment